Skip to main content

mountains and hills



[ photo via pinterest ]

I flip through the pages of my book, sighing and letting the words blur my vision. A soft growl is heard above the slight breeze that blows my hair and waves the grass. I roll my eyes and close my book.

"If you're trying to scare me again, it won't work."

I listen to the small sigh but still jump back when he pounces on me.

"Ah hah! And you said it wouldn't work!"

I giggle as we roll around in the grass. I try to push him off of me, while he stubbornly hangs on. "Get off of me!"

"No."

We continue to roll, and that's when I notice our slight downhill incline. "Oh no..." I reach a hand out, clawing at the grass, trying to slow us down as we begin to slide instead of roll.

"Oh--" His voice is cut off by the splash of our bodies, hitting the water. I lift my head above the pond water, gasping for air and managing to push him off of me. He turns toward me and laughs, covering his mouth as he points at me with his free hand. I look up, noticing the pond lily perched on my head. I pull it off, looking back at him and letting out my own snort-filled laughter. On his head sits a tiny, frightened duck. He looks up and freezes in his position, his wide eyes lowering to look back at me.

"Get. It. Off." He states in a low tone. I roll my eyes, scooping the tiny duckling up and setting back in the water. It starts to swim away, then turns its head back toward us. I wave, letting out a soft good-bye and it nods its head, before turning forward and swimming away.

I blink, slowly looking over at him as he looks back at me. This time we both laugh. He helps me, after our giggles die down, and I look down at my tattered clothing.

"Working on a new trend?" He asks, slowly linking our fingers.

"Um...I guess so." I mumble.

His lips gently press to my cheek, and I lift my head to study his dark eyes. "You look good. As usual."

I feel the heat, traveling to my cheeks and staining them a bright red color. "Thank you."

He waves his hand, dismissing my thanks. "So what are you up to today?"

"Well I was trying to read, and squeeze in a few moments of pond-less, quiet time."

"You should know by now that that's not the way things work around here."

"I should, but I keep trying to deny the facts."

He leads me up to the top of the small hill. "Look at this." he whispers, his free hand gesturing out to the land before our eyes. Rolling hills, bright blue skies, mountains in the distance.

It's like a picture from a movie, I think to myself.

"Someday," he continues, "I want to climb that mountain over there."

"Why?"

"Just to say that I did."

"Oh."

"And do you know what I'd do once I reached the top?" He looks down at me, and I slowly look up at him, our eyes meeting in the dark shadow that his tall figure casts. "I would proclaim my love for you."

It happens fast. He leans in and our noses touch. My eyes squeeze shut and my fingers find their way into his hair.

My mind creates a poem as our bodies move, touch, and feel.

Rolling hills,
Where tall grass grows.
Mountains high,
Where harsh wind blows.

My words,
exhaled into the wind.
Your words,
inhaled before you speak your mind.

Together, we breathe.

* * *

Thank you, for reading this lovely short story. :)

I love you guys, so much. <3

thanks for reading!
xoxo,
Rose

Comments

  1. beautiful. <3 i love your short stories! you ought to publish a book full of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. <3 hey, that's not a bad idea. maybe I will do that... ;}

      Delete
  2. This is...too...flawless...for words. Like, I can't even describe it. Like, it gave me chills. Like, IT'S NOT FAIR HOW GOOD YOU ARE AT SHORT STORIES. And, like, how did you come up with that poem? (That was rhetorical; the answer is obvious: using your magical flawless writing powers.)

    Stay beautiful. <3

    xoxo,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh jeez, thank you. you have no idea how wide I'm smiling right now...

      Stay amazing. <3

      xoxo,
      Rose

      Delete
  3. Anonymous23.7.13

    So beautiful and full of sweetness. :) I wish I could think of a better way to compliment your writing, but it's as simple as this: I LOVE YOUR WRITING! :)

    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww shucks. thank you so much. :D <3

      xoxo,
      Rose

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose