Skip to main content

"Don't run from me." || a short story

alone

[photo via pinterest]

"Come back!" He shouts behind me. But I can't do that. I told him. I'm running.

"Stop!"

I shake my head and continue down the tunnel. I can hear his footsteps pounding behind me and I manage to sigh through my heavy breathing. I told him not to follow.

"Don't run from me!"

I slide to a stop, just before the open exit, the end of the tunnel. I look out and up, at the sun, the clear blue sky, the warm day. It's so different to the life I'm leaving. But it'll work.

I turn toward him, watching him slow down to a stop, just a few feet away. "Please."

The foreign word I've heard him say far too often. It chills my bones, though I can feel the warmth of the outside world radiating toward me, even though I'm still in the tunnel. "I can't stay. I told you that."

"Why can't you stay?"

My patience doesn't exist anymore, so I snap. "I told you already. I'm a threat."

"A threat to what?" He steps closer, but I take a step back, allowing the outside warmth to pull me closer.

"To this. To the System. To you."

He shakes his head as he steps toward me again, pushing me back until I'm at the line. The line between darkness and lightness, death and life. The line between him and my decision. "Don't you see, they're lying to you? They don't want you here but you belong here. You belong here the most, out of anyone." He reaches for my hand. "You've earned your place among us."

I move my hand back, not allowing him to make this harder on me. "I may have earned a place, but I don't deserve it. You heard what they said. I can't stay here. I have to go."

"No." He murmurs, shaking his head yet again. "No."

"I'm sorry." Before he can say anything, before he can react, I step back into the light. His cold eyes suddenly meet mine. He takes a step, as if he were about to come out and join in me in the world of light. But we both know he'd never do that.

"I told you not to run." He says, before turning his back to me.

"And I told you not to follow." I whisper back, watching him stalk away. "Good-bye," I manage to choke out, knowing he can't hear me. "I love you."


* * *

Whoa...that was sort of, um, interesting, wasn't it? o.O I have no idea where that came from.
And, uh, I *probably* won't continue this. It is a short story, after all. :}

Well, I hope enjoyed this lovely little piece of writing. :)


thanks for reading. <3
xoxo,
Rose

bloglovin


psssst...
wanna read more
of my writing?
just click here. :}
i'd really appreciate it.

Comments

  1. Anonymous6.8.13

    *cough* *splutter* *sigh* *scream* *sob* *sniffle* *wail*

    I CAAANN'TT IT'S TOOOO THE PAINFUL EPICNESS THE FLAWLESS BRILLIANCE THE GIFTED TALENT THE .... IT JUST ... I CAN'T ... IT'S TOO.... I HAVE TO: ASDGKFDSFGJLKDFJGLBSGOIWAOSJFZVJX fangirl.

    xx far more of a jelly reader than you/kenz can ever be,

    Les

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. o-oh my...

      oh jeez. wow. um... calm down girly. it wasn't that good...

      xoxo,
      Rosie

      Delete
  2. *sobbing* UGH. Why would you do this to me!?!?! *wails* This is painful. AH WHY NO. What happened, how, why, what. THIS IS SO FLAWLESS IT IS PAINFUL YOU ARE TOO TALENTED I HATE IT. You are a cruel human being! Stop. Being. Perfect.

    --Don't really know you but I can already tell you are super stinking amazing--
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *slowly smiles* I guess my work here as an evil writer is done. :}

      aww shucks. :) your comment left me with a smile. <3

      xoxo,
      Rose

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose