Skip to main content

YAWP 2014

Hello! Today's post is dedicated to telling you about the first week of my writing camp. :)

Note: I was going to tell you about each day to day activity, but seeing as how I am referring back to my memory, and not written notes, I've decided just to pour my discombobulated words into this post. Hopefully you will be able to decipher them as you read on.

The first day I was the complete definition of a nervous wreck. I was excited and anxious, because I didn't know anyone and I was so, so ready to learn something new (and so, so ready to write).

The room was buzzing with activity when I stepped in. I was asked to "sign in", make a name tag, then find a seat. The noise of the room was overbearing and I feel as though I stood stupidly in the middle of everything, still trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. Eventually, I migrated over to sit down on some random empty seat at a quiet table.

The room slowly settled down, and the camp leaders gave us some information about what was going to happen as the camp went on. It was only three hours long, each weekday, so we could sign up for two "sessions" a day, decided on what we personally wanted to do. I remember on the first day I did free write, because I was so excited to work on a story I shared with you guys a while back. I had gotten an inspiration and couldn't stop typing.

That's when I met Maya. We kinda drifted toward each other, and I said awkward things to her as we borrowed laptops, and settled down on a wobbly table together (all the chairs we very, very small, and there weren't many, in this section of the building).

After free write, we snacked and I had quiet conversations about random things with the girl sitting next to me, Lolly, my other new writing friend.

A conversation I and a few others had with a camp leader sparked the idea of putting up a book suggestion board. It was swarmed immediately, with people smacking the titles of their favorite books onto it. The first book suggested? The Fault In Our Stars, by John Green. Whoever put that there... I love them.

At the end of each day we did this thing called "read around" where people would break off into smaller groups, and read something they had written to the group they were in. I was mainly grouped with ninth, tenth, and eleventh graders, and let me say there were some very talented souls in that group. They were so talented, I'm afraid, that I didn't have the courage to spill any of my words to them--though I knew I was going to keep my mouth shut no matter what.

As the week progressed I got more comfortable being in a large room full of kids I didn't know. I got a lot of writing done, and learned many things about genre, character development, and even just people. On the third day--Wednesday--we walked to the nearby library, and sat in the grass, writing to a prompt we were given. At most times I find prompts limiting, so I didn't stay on course. I veered off, scribbling about summer breezes and how great things smell.

The process of the whole camp was so immensely beautiful--and I can't wait to tell you guys more about it. :)

If you have any questions, or just want to say something random, comment below. I love hearing from you guys. :)

Comments

  1. Aw, that sounds like an amazing experience!

    Love you!

    xoxo,
    Bethan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so wonderful. I am now feeling inspired to think that maybe someday, I will too join a writing camp...
    I hope you continue to enjoy your time there, dear, and I know your writing out come will be brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: Thank you so much for putting my button on your sidebar ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing camp sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog, check mine out when you get a chance chick. Let me know your thoughts. xxx
    cozyuprw.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose