Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo - are you ready?

National Novel Writing Month
50,000 words, 30 days. Can you handle the pressure?


+ + +

As most of you are probably already aware of, NaNoWriMo starts in just a few short days. I am going to be participating, but because I'm going to be balancing the writing of 2,000 words a day with my school work, blogging, youth group activities, personal projects and who knows what else, some things may start slipping down my list of priorities. Blogging is one of them.

I will have some posts prepared, but for most of the month of November, Truly. Madly. Deeply. may seem pretty dormant. I'm going to do my best to post content - maybe even some sneak peeks of my NaNoWriMo writing - but no promises. I'm sure you guys won't mind my lack of posts though. You'll probably be too busy working on your own writing projects. ;)

Okay, now that I've related to you the boring news of my blog, let's get down to the core of this post.

National Novel Writing Month is a huge deal (for me, at least). I've done some of the camps, and even tried to participate last year, but I've never actually done it... Maybe this means I'm not qualified to give you tips, but I am a writer. I know how writers work. I know that sometimes we get overwhelmed. To many of us, 50,000 words is a huge feat. And to type that many words in just 30 days? That's crazy.

But you're a writer.

And writer's are anything but sane.

So here are my top 5 tips for those of you participating in this year's NaNoWriMo.

1. Ask Yourself "Why?"


As in, why are you participating? Because your friends are? Because you have some free time? Just 'cause? With that kind of motive, you're surely not going to meet your goal (well you could... but it's going to be really painful). Make sure you've thought about your reasons for taking part in NaNoWriMo. The more you personalize it, the better. Participating because "you really want to challenge yourself" or because "you have a great novel idea" are great reasons for why you should sign up.

2. Shut Off Your Inner Critics


Your inner critics (those little voices inside your head telling you to give up, that it's not worth it, that you'll never get where you want to be) are persistent little buggers, aren't they? They clog your brain, eat your ideas, and fill your head with unnecessary noises. They're rude, mean, and just downright draining. That's why you should give them a different job. Instead of allowing them to wander around in your head, shouting nonsensical things and distracting you from your task, kindly hand them a plane ticket to Jamaica (or wherever you think they may enjoy themselves) and say "enjoy your long-term vacation."

This should be something you do whenever you're writing. Not only because it's helpful, but because your head has more room available when your muse wants to have a sleepover.

3. Love Your Idea


When you're passionate about your idea, the words flow easier. Actually, the whole project becomes easier. You'll hit those spots where you think you can't type anymore, and when you do, your love of the project with push you to keep going. So make sure you have an idea you love so much that it makes you want to write. Those are the best ones, no?

4. Don't Fall Behind

When you have a goal to write at least 1667 words a day, falling behind could doom your project. When I get behind on my goals, it not only increases my stress, but overtakes my brain, sucking the fun out of the whole project. I get focused on write write writing, that I don't even allow myself to take meal or bathroom breaks. Don't let this happen to you. Try your best to stay on top. If you know you're going to miss a day, make up for it before rather than after. This not only shows that you can write past your daily goals but that you are capable of doing what it takes to complete those goals.

5. Have Fun


Enjoy your experience, because isn't that what NaNoWriMo is all about? Sure, it's stressful and perhaps it draws you toward insanity, but think about where you'll be when you finish. You'll have a first draft novel sitting before you. And you wrote it in just 30 days!

So have fun. Make the most out of your experience, stay positive, and write swiftly. I know you'll do well. :)


I hope you enjoyed this post. :) I'm so glad you took the time to read it. I wish you all good luck with your NaNoWriMo goals. If you need a writing buddy, or want to discuss details, comment below or contact me at rosecolflesh[at]gmail[dot]com. I can't wait to hear from you. :)

xx Nicole Rose

Comments

  1. I can't wait! It's so exciting. What's your username?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great things to remember during NaNo, especially #1 and #5. :)

    Best wishes with your NaNo writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points! I'm participating for the first time. Can't believe it's already tomorrow! My username is Maddie Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rose! Thank you for this post. I've always loved your writing. I'm doing it for the first time and I'm a little freaked out. Could you buddy me please? My username is ForeverChanged13. Thanks so much! I LOVE your blog:)
    In Christ,
    Sarah
    foreverchanged13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose