Skip to main content

How to deal with loneliness.

Have you ever felt like you were separated from reality? Or separated from people - material things, possessions of the world. The outside. Have you felt as though you were trapped behind walls and no matter how hard you kicked, punched or screamed, you couldn't knock them down and no one would could hear you. You were unheard within yourself.

You felt alone. Abandoned in your time of need. Maybe you're feeling these things right now. Whatever the case, here are four steps you can take in dealing with the lonely isolation you feel.


1. Loneliness is a feeling...

Not a fact. You are feeling this isolation not because you truly are alone, but because something - a memory, perhaps - has triggered this response within you. Our brains are designed to notice feelings of pain, especially feelings that scare you. That's why loneliness is so prominent - it's very easy to notice.

As you try to make sense of your feelings, you may ask yourself, "Why am I feeling this? Is it because I'm not loved? Because I'm a loser?" Your theories can become confused with facts, making your problem seem bigger than it truly is. Realize that you are feeling alone, and then learn to accept that without over-analyzing or overreacting.

2. Reach out.

When I feel lonely or unloved, I react by drawing within myself. I hide. I mope. And it doesn't help my situation at all. So I encourage you to reach out. Express your feelings, treat yourself to something good. Taking a nice long bath works well for me, especially if I'm starting to feel stressed or pent up. Find what works for you. It may be going out with friends, talking to your parents or reading a good book. Whatever it is, do it. Take that step toward emotional recovery.

3. Notice your thoughts.

Inner dialogue is something that plays a huge role in your emotional level. What you're thinking is essentially what you say. The small, personally hurtful comments can pile up and weigh down your self-esteem until you're sitting in bed crying about being alone and unloved forever. So make sure to deal with those inner critics and downing thoughts.

4. Find people who can relate.

The world is a big place. Odds are someone out there has felt the same way you do. Go search for them. Seek them out and make connections. BUT be careful when conducting this point. Surfing the web for someone whom you can cling to and throw your problems at isn't the greatest idea. Try searching in the relationships you have now before branching out. If you don't find someone, don't get discouraged. They're out there. You just have to look in the right places.

How do you deal with loneliness? 


Thank you for reading.
xx Nicole Rose

Comments

  1. Reminds me of that song from Into the Woods, "No One Is Alone." Thank you for this.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, these were great tips. Especially number 3. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super helpful! I've had some pretty major issues the past few months and this is definitely how I would deal with it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your point about it being a feeling, not fact. So often we get to caught up in our emotions that we cant step back and see the reality that we are loved and we aren't alone. Thumbs up, Nicole.

    Chloe | Curious Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole, you're, like, a counselor. Your posts are so helpful and I swear I remember them when I'm in a situation that you've dealt with.

    I too often let my inner dialogue run crazy. Imagining those thoughts being burnt away inside a trash can *giggle* has helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose