Skip to main content

How to develop Self-Efficacy (Guest Post)

If any of you have ever taken a psychology class, you have probably heard of the concept of self-efficacy.

This was one concept that really stuck out to me and has made a huge impact in my life. Self-efficacy is your belief that you have control of what happens to you and can succeed. For example, say you fail your math exam. Someone with low self-efficacy would think that the environment played a large role in it. They might say that they were born with a low IQ or that it was beyond their control. Someone with high self-efficacy would immediately start studying harder and would accredit their failure to circumstances that they could control such as lack of sleep or not eating right.

Obviously, a high self-efficacy is very important to a person’s success in life. A person with high self-efficacy will turn their failures into stepping stones. So how can you develop a sense of self-efficacy?

There are a few steps you can take:


  1. Set realistic goals. Successfully accomplishing small goals will give you confidence in your abilities and will increase your self-efficacy.
  2. Watch others. Observing other people succeed can help you to perform the same task successfully and give you more confidence. 
  3. Positive self-talk. Encouraging yourself and writing down constructive feedback after completing a task can help you to improve the next time you do it. 
  4. Find a buddy or mentor. Receiving encouragement from others plays a big role in your self-efficacy.
  5. Control your emotions. Realize that moods, emotions and stress can decrease your sense of self-efficacy. Find ways to control anxiety and relieve stress.


Remember that it’s all about your attitude. One of my favorite poems states this perfectly. It’s called “State of Mind” by Walter Wintle.

If you think you are beaten, you are
If you think you dare not, you don't,
If you like to win, but you think you can't
It is almost certain you won't.
If you think you'll lose, you're lost
For out of the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow's will
It's all in the state of mind.
If you think you are outclassed, you are
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.
Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man who thinks he can!

+ + +

This wonderful guest post was by the lovely Lorraine. <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose