Skip to main content

How To Talk About Your Blog (In Real Life)

Hey bloggers! I hope you're all out on summer vacation, having fun, chillin' and all that. ;) I've been incredibly busy over the past few weeks. I went to several graduation parties before summer officially started for me, and basically sat around and ate a lot of good food. Can you imagine how tiring that was?

Anyway, at one of the parties I went to I sat with some adults and we conversed casually about homeschooling and amusements parks. The conversation eventually came around to me, because I'm going to be a senior (yikes) and I was asked the simple question: Do you know what you want to do?

I told them about my blog and about how I love to help bloggers by designing their websites for them.

They asked for more information, and I left the party feeling ecstatic because that was the first time I'd ever talked about my online life with others - and enjoyed it.

On the way home I began compiling this list of tips to help you talk about your blog IRL (in real life) too. :)


Casually bring it up.

"So, what do you like to spend your time doing?"

"Oh, you know. Stuff. What do you like to do?"

"Me? I like to blog."

"Really? That's cool. Tell me more."

When I was younger, I would have answered that question differently. Way differently. I was under confident in myself and my blog, so talking about my online life was a personal no no. Now, I'm trying to break free of that. If someone asks me what I like to do I'm prompt, honest and open.

Take the opportunity.

It's scary to out yourself out there and talk about yourself - and your blog (that thing you spend 25/8 of your time on). That's why you need to jump on it when someone brings up any question that you could potentially answer by sneaking your blog into it.

Don't be too hard on yourself if an opportunity arises and you don't take it. You have to trust your gut instinct on this, and if you truly feel that it's not the best time to bring it up, then it may be best to wait for a little while.

Be bold.

But not so bold that your casual humanoid friend is compelled to walk away or change the subject. Be gentle but firm. If they don't want to talk about it, don't talk about it - but don't assume they don't want to talk about it. You'll never know until you bring it up.

Disclaimer: This can be hard.

Especially if you blog about things people don't "normally" talk about in casual conversations, like periods or psychological mindsets (but if you happen to hang out with people who do talk about that stuff, you need to jump on that opportunity ASAP, babe).

It all depends on the person and the circumstance.

So don't force it.

But I don't want to talk about my blog...

That's okay, because you don't have to. Talking about your blog to your close friends and family is one thing, but talking about it with people you hardly know? That's scary. Ultimately, this is your choice, so do as you please and stay true to yourself. But don't let fear rule your life (this is pretty hypocritical of me to say, seeing as how I'm battling many fears right now). Be brave, young soul, and take a tentative step toward the unknown. Use this as a chance to grow - both yourself and your site.

After all, scary things aren't so scary the second time around.

Do you talk about your blog?

If so, to who? Comment below with your answer. I'd love to start a discussion with you. :)

xx Nicole Rose

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose