Skip to main content

Ask Self Known // 003

Hello my fabulous friends! How is everyone today? It's been a crazy week for me. I'm having a hard time blogging... All I've wanted to do is write for my WIP, so... You may not hear much from me in the following weeks. :}



Anyways...

As you may or may not have noticed, the Self Known Advice column skipped a week and got shifted today. This is due to the fact that I started school last week and I've been so dang busy. It feels like I haven't gotten anything done. I'm all over the place. Anyone have any tips for that? ;)

Here are today's questions and answers! Enjoy, and make sure to send me your questions below. :)

1. Hey! I have a big problem with self confidence... how do I "get more"?


Define confidence.

What is confidence to you? Is it having enough willpower to say no? Is it breaking out of your shell and asking out that really cute guy you're friends keep catching you staring it?

Take a good chunk of your day to sit yourself down and define what confidence is to you. Then, come up with a simple visualization exercise that somewhat follows these guidelines:

Sit down with your eyes closed and imagine what it feels like to be confident. What do you see? What are you doing? What do you hear, touch, taste? What do you smell? Keep your thoughts positive and go through this little exercise at least once daily. You'll find yourself starting to implement your visions into your life.

Change your mindset.

As you expand and grow your confidence, don't think of it as "getting more". Think of at as growing your person and becoming a better version of yourself.

Related: Turn yourself into a superhero (in only 5 easy steps)

2. Blogger won't let me add the followers gadget even though I have continuously tried to do what they asked (like clearing my cache, etc.) I still can't add it. Few people know how to follow my blog otherwise. What do you suggest?

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Switch to Bloglovin'

Bloglovin' is a huge platform that many readers use. Sign up and put the gadget in your sidebar + posts, then make an announcement saying that you've made the switch. If you have a lot of GFC followers, then this may feel like starting over to you, but if you have an active audience, you'll gain your followers back in no time.

2. Add a link + instructions

Create a page entitled "Follow" on your blog with the link to the sign up page for GFC (example link below). Then instruct followers to use that link to follow you. :)

https://www.blogger.com/follow-blog.g?blogID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Can't find your blog ID? Create a post in Blogger and look through the URL (example below). Copy and past the numbers that come after "blogID=" to retrieve your blog ID.

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3. Utilize your email list

Welp. Nothing's worked. This may be the time for you to look into getting an email list. The people who subscribe will get your posts directly in your inbox, so it won't be a hassle for either one of you. I recommend Feedburner (if you're fine with little control over how the emails look, when they're sent out, etc.) and MailChimp (a little more complex, but worth the time it will take you to figure it out).

4. Email me with your link

If none of these helped you, or you need more help, please email me with your link so I can look into the problem further. :)

3. How do you create the hover that changes the color? (Like the tabs under your 'Let's Socialize' section)

I created the hover that changes the color of my tabs using a simple change in my template's HTML and CSS. :) Here's how:

HTML: PLEASE BACK UP YOUR TEMPLATE BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES!

Find the following code:

<b:widget id='PageList1' locked='false' title='Pages'type='PageList'>

Several lines below it you'll find this:

<li class='selected'><a expr:href='data:link.href'><data:link.title/></a></li>
<b:else/>
<li expr:class='data:link.title'><aexpr:href='data:link.href'><data:link.title/></a></li>

Replace with this:

<li expr:class='data:link.title + &quot; selected&quot;'><a expr:href='data:link.href'><data:link.title/></a></li> <b:else/>
<li expr:class='data:link.title'><a expr:href='data:link.href'><data:link.title/></a></li>
Save your template.
 

CSS

.PageList li.About a:hover { background-color: #f46444;
border: solid 1px #333 !important; }

.PageList li.Bestow a:hover { background-color: #fffa96;
border: solid 1px #333 !important; }

.PageList li.Contact a:hover {background-color: #c9faaa;
border: solid 1px #333 !important; }

.PageList li.Design a:hover {background-color: #92ebbe;
border: solid 1px #333 !important; }

.PageList li.Existence a:hover {background-color: #e7d1e8;
border: solid 1px #333 !important; }

Note: You will have to change the codes on bold to match the titles of your pages.

Save your changes, then you're done. :)


Need answers?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose