Skip to main content

How to Absolutely Guarantee Your NaNoWriMo Survival

Writing a book in a month won't be too hard, they said.


You'll be fine, they said.

But you're freaking out, aren't you? You're not prepared (or as prepared as you'd like to be).

Besides the basic tools we use for NaNoWriMo - laptop, ideas, swift fingers and a writing program equipped with a word count - there are other things we can utilize to ease our writing journey. So I came up with a list of items and put them into my post. This is my NaNoWriMo Survival Kit. :)



1. A Clean Work Space



A clean work space is a must for me, especially during NaNoWriMo. I have those days where I don't want to be writing, so when there's something nearby - like a stray piece of paper or even a pencil - I will allow it to distract me from my task. Cleaning up your writing space not only removes these distractions, but gives you more room to work as well.

2. Water


Having a water bottle next to me as I write helps me not only to stay hydrated, but also stay focused on my task. I know as soon as I step away from my laptop to get a drink, I won't come back for at least an hour, so with water nearby, my focus stays on my work.

3. Snacks


Snacks are perfect for writing, especially if you want to complete mini-goals. Just tell yourself, "as soon as I hit 3,000 words, I'm going to pop open that can of Pringles". It will not only motivate you, but keep your tummy happy as well. ;) (I recommend taking a small break while snacking. Get up and move around, let your eyes and brain rest for a few moments. You want to stay focused on your task, but don't ever hesitate in rewarding yourself with a power regeneration break.)

4. iTunes / Music


iTunes is great for those times when I feel a lack of inspiration. I just put my earbuds in, press play, and begin typing. I would advice taking precaution when doing this, because if you're like me, you may get sucked into a song you really like and start jamming instead of writing. :P

5. Outline


My outline is my lifesaver right now, so I definitely recommend creating one. It's helped me stay focused on what the goals of my writing are. Of course, it's very rough and loose, so I can add or delete any details at anytime as I write; because thinking about what to write and actually going to write it usually turns out to be two very different things - at least for me.

+ + +

These are just some suggestions based on what works best for me, but I hope they help you as well. :)

What's in your NaNoWriMo Survival Kit?

xx Nicole Rose

Comments

  1. Great advice. I totally agree with all these things. Good list:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award: http://almostcompletelymad.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/blogger-recognition-award.html

      Delete
  2. Funny I never considered having water and snacks nearby when writing. You're brilliant, my friend! May your fingers ever fly with true inspiration. :)

    Happiness and sunshine,
    Little Les

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose