Skip to main content

How to Manage Your Creative Time

Being productive can be hard, especially when you have too many things on your to-do list, and have no idea where to start. As a human who likes to pack a lot of stuff into their day, I've struggled with managing my blogging time and balancing it with everything else I need to do.

Here are some tips to help you manage your time (whether it be for blogging or anything else). :)


Being productive can be hard, especially when you have too many things balanced on your plate. Most of the time, you don’t know where to start. As a human who likes to pack a lot of productivity into their day, I’ve struggled with managing my time - creatively and in the other areas of my life. The balancing act is hard, so I’ve compiled some of the tips that work best for me.


PS: There’s a link to a print out of the exercises that correspond with these tips at the bottom of this!

Figure out what needs to be done

Before you can manage your time, you need to figure out what it is you want to get done. Do you want to work on a sketch, take some pro headshots of yourself or spruce up your blog? Or do you want to focus more on growing your social reach and building an online community? Maybe your favorite book needs some lovin’. Whatever it is, take the time you have now to figure out what you want to get done later. Trust me, spending an hour or two planning out your week will save you so much time. I promise.


Create a to-do list with a twist

If you're like me, then you probably have a to-do list that’s eighteen miles long. And whenever you look at it, it stresses you out because IT’S HUGE AND IF YOU DON’T GET IT ALL DONE THE WORLD WILL END. *lightning crackles in the background*

Well guess what, guys. Sometimes I don’t finish my to-do list (gasp). And the world hasn’t ended!

But how do you avoid that to-do list anxiety?

By prioritizing.

You need to figure out which items on your list will contribute to your current goals. If you have “Paint cabinets” on your list, but have the goal of producing valuable content for your blog readers, you need to decide which is more important. Spending time on your cabinets or your posts.

Set a timer

Reasons you should do this:
  • I find that I'm more productive when I know that every x amount of minutes I'll have a five minute break before switching tasks.
  • If I give myself a time limit, I do the bare minimum for an icky task in less time, giving me more time for fun tasks.
  • Timers pull me back into the moment and remind me that there's work to be done, effectively reducing distractions.
  • Mundane tasks get done quicker.

My advice: set a timer (25 minute intervals with 5 minute breaks work best for me). You won't regret it. Everything will seem to go by faster and you'll feel like a productivity machine!


Reward yo' self

Sometimes it's enough to plop back into your bed at the end of the day with the slight numb of your productive day on your mind.

Sometimes. But not all the time.

That's why you need a rewards system in place. It will not only motivate you to work harder, but it will also make completing a task that much sweeter.

Conclusion: Don't be too hard on yourself

We all have days where, no matter how hard we try, we're tired and just not motivated to get anything done. And it's okay to have those days - it's usually your body saying, "Hey, you've been working hard lately. Why don't you take a break?"

So make sure to take hold of those days and rest as much as you can. And don't be too hard on yourself. Just make sure to get up the next morning, prepared to manage your time.


What do you do to manage your time?

Comments

  1. Firstly, I love this post. Definitely helpful. Secondly, I nominated you for The Creative Blogger Award.

    https://weheartdreaming.wordpress.com/2016/01/23/the-creative-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous26.2.16

    Fantastic tips, thanks for sharing!! <3

    Ava, http://landofquiet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose