Skip to main content

You Are A Complete, Original Design

There are a thousand ways one can begin a movement, and this is how I'd like to start mine: It snowed.

If the human race is different, but the same, why do we all try to be the same all the way around? Thoughts and tips. Click through to read more!

Meaning I'm inside and there are blankets on my bed, blankets on my lap and thick socks on my feet. And when I see the snow, I'm reminded of God and how beautiful His world is. To think, all the snowflakes I crush underfoot or sweep off the sidewalk are unique. Once in a lifetime. Completely their own. They don't try to be anything else. They are here for only one purpose: to blanket the earth.

Some look at snow and frown. Some roll around in the snow and make angels. Some take photos, whilst others take a shovel to the fluff. There are probably enough reactions to snow to equal the number of unique snowflake designs.

People are snowflakes. Unique in design, but identical in chemical makeup -- after all, every flake of white melts down to a tiny droplet of water.


So if the human race is different, but the same, why do we all try to be the same all the way around? I don't know about you, but sometimes I find myself trying to break off one of my little 'flake arm just so I can be like what I see in the world. Not even in the sense of becoming taller, skinnier, tanner or better, but in what I own, what I do, what I say, who I talk to. My temptation is to conform. To repeat, because...

Because...

If you like [blank] and I successfully embody [blank]... you'll love me just as much as you love [blank].*


* [blank] can equal anything, from an aesthetic to living in a beach house to wearing the latest trends.


That's the hypothesis.

In my tried and true experimental style/cycle, I have found (once more) that there is nothing like the original. So while you can try to be [blank], own [blank], or live [blank], in the end, it doesn't make people like you more.

WHY?


Because you've deviated from the original!

You. You are the original, complete, enough just as you are design.


Friend, you can do whatever you please. Rock those name brands, read those books, go on adventures. But please, don't ever feel compelled to do those things because someone at school or on your IG feed did the same thing. Don't let them make you feel bad either.

I find this urge to change the direction of my life or "recreate" certain elements in myself often, especially when I am building a website or even creating content. I feel like I need to put into action or recreate things that are intimidatingly awesome so that my following will grow -- or something petty like that.

But that's sooooo not my job.

I may draw inspiration from an element. I may even twist it and add to it and completely make it my own. But I do not need to recreate original works. It takes away from what my real job is: Making my own intimidatingly awesome original works. Because:


And so are you!

Action Steps:

  • Step back when it comes to social media.
    • Limit your time on social media, especially if it prompts you to compare yourself and your life to others.
  • Write down how you feel.
    • Blab it all out. Write in fragments. Completely forget grammer grammar.
  • Talk to God (and/or a close friend).
    • Then cry, hug it out and treat yourself to some ice cream.
  • Look back at your past creative work and ask yourself: Is this completely my own? Is this ME? Does this share a piece of me?
  • Create something.
    • Give yourself no limitations. Just pick a message and go for it. And keep going, even if it's not what you meant it to be.

Do you find yourself trying to replicate the talent surrounding you?

Comments

  1. Sometimes it has been a while since I've read a post that blows me away. So, when I do, like now, I am floating in galaxies far away. <3

    Brilliant.

    xx Kenz

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is amazing!! I love how you relate each one of us to a snowflake. How we all are different but melt down into a droplet. That was so wonder. I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the queen.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing. You are amazing. I love this. I love you. <3
    xo,
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great reminder! It's so hard not to compare ourselves to others with social media and everything. We hear so many people saying to conform and improve ourselves. Often I forget that I'm special and I try to cover up everything that makes me...me in an attempt to be more like everyone else. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Wow so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose