Skip to main content

Ode to It


A fear that haunts me: I am letting my glory days pass me by as moments straddled between Netflix and self-doubt. It seems I so often lack the courage to gather my tools and build something out of myself. I am unhappy, but content.

To live among the shadows hurts, but this initial pain makes it worth avoiding the sting of the light.

Something I've come to believe is the fact that some people are born with It. The It - charisma, talent, humor, attraction - whatever the positive quality, it combines with one part charm and another part luck.

And a star is born.

But this notion is tragic. And, admittedly, quite sad. Especially on the days when I count myself outside the circle of those who possess It. The truth of the matter is not that a handful have It, but that It is contained within 100% of all living, breathing cases.

To varied, unlocked degrees.

Sometime after my muse passes and the words empty themselves out, I will long for It. Emotional beings such as myself seem to long so often, and this only proves to be a negative notion when that's as far as it goes.

I insist that we each have lightness underfoot. Said another way: Yearning for more can only take you so far. It is the steps you take to making your fantasies a reality that truly matter.

My daydreams include harboring best friends and moments of spontanaity. Let's take a drive without a destination in mind. Baked cookies and crowns made of wild flowers. Pinkie promises and old books that smell like lavender or sea spray.

I see not through eyes that hold the traditional vision, but instead, I see something uniquely my own. Thanks to my It.

It, oh It. Where art thou, my It? You are the passion and the energy. The things I do without another thought. What I invest countless hours in because I love doing it that much. You are my childhood of dance classes and American Girl dolls.

You are experimental.

You are messy.

You are the laughter evoked by simple gestures.

And you live within me.

Vow to me, dear It, that you will never leave me entirely. You may vacation. You may melt away. You may turn invisible. But don't abandon me altogether, lest my fears are meant to become true the day you do.

Whether the day comes or does not, I promise to embrace you fervently. To seek you out with courage and go beyond what is my cozy Comfort Zone.

A courageous thought: My glory days are the days I make the most out of - whether great adventures take place, or not.

Comments

  1. i can totally relate to this! i love how you said "it is the steps you take to making your fantasies a reality that truly matter." so true!!
    -audrey
    http://honestlyaudrey.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey, I'm glad someone understands. :) Thank you for commenting! <3

      Delete
  2. The things you write have so much meaning. Thank you for sharing this. I think that a lot of us are born with the effortless charm but only a handful of those people can use it correctly. I need to start spending my time like I want to. I will be turning 20 and 20-30 I want to make sure are memorable years for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Vanessa, you have made me blush! Thank YOU for reading and commenting. Yes, I completely agree. I'm almost 20 as well and though it scares me, I'm keen on making these years memorable for myself, too.

      I wish all the best for you. <3

      Delete
  3. I relate to this. I am so scared of wasting my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This. <3

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
  5. ASDFJKLASDFJL... omg tell me about It... I feel this so much. I sort of fooled myself into believing that success was something conventional like getting into a good school and having a monetarily rewarding career that would change the world, but recently that's changed. I've realized that the thing that made me most happy was doing the creative, messy, spontaneous stuff that I love, and I'd come close to losing it. This post helped me think through a lot of that confusion, so thank you a million, and wow, did I ramble or what? XD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose