Skip to main content

The Tree Folk (pt. 1)

There's something I haven't done in a long time.

And that is, share a story.

I've written loads for you guys over the years, but when it comes to novels, I'm always -- hm, what's the proper word for it? -- terrified to share what I've written. Mostly because I get this notion like it needs to be edited and make sense and I need to reread it and *brain overloads and nothing gets done*

BUT NOT TODAY!

Okay, well, I did edit this but that's beside the point. I'm sharing a snippet of a current WIP, my dear friend, and I am entrusting its growth to you. :)

Without further ado...

- - -


“Stupid Craig and his stupid rules and his stupid protein bars and—AGH! GO AWAY BUG. And his stupid trooper scarf thing! Well here you go, Craig!” She ripped the bandana off her throat, stomping on it for good measure. “There! Now find me!”

The forest around her was eerily quiet.

She turned around in a circle, a small breeze brushing her arms. She watched as it made the leaves on the trees sway.

Silence was her friend as she stood in the forest, fuming and disappointed. A branch snapped in the distance and she whirled toward the sound, hoping it was Craig so she could continue yelling at him. But the figure before her wasn’t Craig. It was much too tall and broad. Its eyes were a sharp amber yellow that glowed from within, brightening the wrinkles around its sockets.

Sienna froze, convinced she’d stirred up a hostile creature. She tried to remember what the best thing to do was when you were confronted by a panther—or whatever it was that glared at her through the trees. The angry knot in her stomach transitioned to fear when the figure was joined by two more.

She ran.

Around the trees, over logs, through piles of leaves. She stirred dust in her wake as she sprinted, panting heavily and almost in tears. Something heavy snatched her feet from under her and she went down, her palms and chin cutting into soft earth. Scratchy thick vines encased her ankles, and she could not tell in her panic whether they were traveling up her legs or if that was just her mind. The vines encased her, mummifying her with just enough room to breathe in dirt and moss. She had a partial view of the branches above her head, the sun barely breaking through their barricade over the forest floor. For eternity she lay there, until the glowing eyes came into view.

When she screamed there was no sound.

- - -

What did you think, friend? I know, I know, it's dramatic. But I'm sure you would question if it was truly me who wrote it if it wasn't. ;)

Let me know what you think in the comments below! Do you want more? Less? Something different altogether? While you're down there, comment the word "bookish" if you made it this far into the post. ;)

I love hearing from you. <3

Toodle-loo for now!

Comments

  1. My 'bookish' heart has been made very happy and this snippet made me shiver a little, it was so vivid! I'd love to read more <3
    xoxo
    Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, I'm so glad to get to read a piece of your writing. More of course we want more. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose