Skip to main content

The Tree Folk (pt. 3)




And here we are with part three.

By the time this post is up I will be back from camp. (Dear Future Rosie: was it swell? Also, has the zit on your forehead gone away yet?) This year I was a counselor (shudder/wink) -- how crazy is that?

Crazy awesome.

Kind of like what's happening to Sienna right now, eh? #thatsegwaytho

- - -

In case you missed them,

here are parts one and two.


- - -

Was this truly happening? Was this tree talking to her?

It was. And it kept talking, as though it were perfectly normal for it to talk. She looked around at the men who had dragged her there. Surely they had some sense to understand that this was crazy too. But they only sneered when she laid her eyes on them.

“Sienna, are you paying attention? We don’t have much time.”

“I’ve finally gone mad.”

“They always say that,” someone behind her retorted.

The tree laughed, only to be cut off by what sounded like a fanfare. Sienna’s captors went rigid as the leaves bordering the oak’s territory parted, and a pale man stepped through. The others bowed low to the ground, in full submittance. He was broad and muscular and wore clothes show this off. His head was topped with a crown of twisted ivy that contrasted with his long, raven black hair. He was clearly used to the bowing, and Sienna got the feeling that he reveled in his position of authority.

“You’re not the one in charge?” She whispered to the oak, getting no reply. She wondered if the tree were giving her a look of sympathy. Or if she were just crazy for asking.

“Prince Gorrell. We didn’t expect you to arrive so soon.”

“Many say that Elder Eden, but I’m afraid they mean it in a way that suggests they didn’t want me to show up at all…” The supposed Gorrell had his gaze locked on Sienna as he spoke. “She’s a measly thing, isn’t she?”

“I think she’ll give us the answers we need, my Prince.”

“I only trust those words from your lips, Elder.”

Why did Sienna get the feeling this guy was sharing a smile with a tree?

A whisper broke through the brush in the same place the prince had entered moments before. There wasn’t a fanfare this time when the foliage parted, but a quiet entrance and a booming statement. “I am Lief of the Southern Coven! I’ve been sent to guard the prisoner.”

She couldn’t help it. She burst into laughter.

“Lief? Oooooh, Lief is here everyone. Do you think he invited his brothers Twig and Branch? Maybe his cousin Trunk will join along, if he can get away from Roots and Foliage and—”

The bindings Sienna had been release from crawled across the forest floor, climbing along her limbs until she was close to being mummified (again!). The tall, towering Lief strode toward her, eyes hard and mouth set into a frown.

“You’re in MY territory now, mortal. I could snap you—”

“Lief, play nicely.”

The boy relaxed, and her bindings with him. Sienna recognized the fire in him as just that. A boy’s lack of maturity.

He took a step back. “As you wish, Gorrell.” But he still give her a sour look.

“In fact, take her to her new quarters.” Gorrell smirked at Lief’s surprised expression. “She’ll be with us for a while and I have preparations to make.”

“Gorrell—”

“Do it, Lief,” then Gorrell lowered his tone. There was a spark in the prince’s eyes. He was enjoying himself. Taking pleasure in watching Lief squirm.

“Yes, sir,” Lief said through his teeth.

He grabbed Sienna by the bindings and led her from the oak’s circle.


If you made it this far comment: asdfghjkl

Comments

  1. asdfghjkl! Pretty much sums ups my feelings. I love this, her confusion, a prince. My only complaint is I want more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fab! Loving it so far and can't wait for more <3

    Lauren | Sincerely, Lauren Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. asdfghjkl! I'm sorry I haven't been commenting on all your posts, but I have been reading them. I love this so much! Can't wait for the next chapter!

    Aliah | Indigo Ink

    ReplyDelete
  4. ASDFGHJKL

    (much excitement for part 4!!)

    anna | annaish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super good! :)

    Would you mind checking out my book reviews blog at El's Book Reviews and possibly give it a follow? Super excited to read your posts!

    - El

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose