Skip to main content

#BookEquality

This is a concept I came up with a million years ago * but I am just getting around to expressing. I guess some ideas take longer to formulate than others...

* Approximate

Humans fight for their rights all the time. It's time for your favorite characters to fight back as well.



I feel like everyone has read a book that clicks with them. That book that you want to share with friends, family, teachers, and even random people on the street because you feel it's just that good. (Bonus points if you've actually told a stranger about your favorite book.) I know that when I talk and rant about a book to my family members their eyes tend to glaze over, or their attention flits back to what they were originally doing. I don't blame them. I'm not the best at explaining things verbally. But that's not going to stop me from spreading the love I have for The Book.

On the flip side...


There is a small chance that when you do share your book, and someone does pick it up, they express that it was a disappointment. That they could hardly get through it. That it was a struggle and they couldn't relate at all. (insert keeling over and fangirl angst here)

I try not to take things like that personally but - OUCH. It's like you've physically abused my book child. It's okay honey, *strokes book* just shake it off.

If these things have ever happened to you - or if they haven't (YET) - I encourage you to keep reading. Because the solution is two simple words.

Book equality.

First, let's go back a little bit.


Maybe you've read a book that's amazing, but it hasn't gotten a lot of attention (dude, I could totally list 30 books right now, but I'll save that for later). Maybe you read a book that has been commonly misjudged or highly criticized (like Twilight or The Hunger Games). Maybe you just really like books and think that every book deserves a chance.

If so, you've already begun to express your support for book equality. What is this strange phrase, you may ask? And why on earth should you invest any time in it when you are already so busy?

My friend, I am so glad you asked.

What's book equality?

Book Equality is the simple acknowledgment that books are books and they mean different things to different people.

Book Equality is expressed through the sharing of a book you were excited about but also the understanding when others can not relate to it.

It is the simplicity of loving books and not bashing others in the head with them.


How are we going to give these books a chance?

Instead of -- how shall I put this? I can't say "judge". Because then I'll have to follow with "a book by its cover" and then you'll think me cliche. But that's precisely what Book Equality believers don't do. The cover judging thing. We skim, evaluate and decide not to sweat it when we don't connect with someone's story.

Books are like people. You click with them on different levels.

I mean, certainly, not everyone can be your best friend. You can't have 20 - 30 people who are extremely close to you. (Unless that's my limited introvert perspective talking...) So why bare your heart to every book you come into contact with?

So basically. To clarify and reiterate.

Book Equality is something you're already doing. It just... has a name now. And you're acknowledging the act.

Tis all.


My Book Equality List

  • The Hunt trilogy by Andrew Fukuda
  • Drought by Pam Bachorz
  • It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini (the movie is hilarious by the way)
  • H2O and Storm by Virginia Bergin
  • We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (I met her back in February 2016)
  • Claudia Gray: Her Firebird series is REALLY good and her newest series, Constellation has got me HOOKED!
  • After by Kristin Harmel
  • The Lone City series by Amy Ewing (AHHH)
  • Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted
  • + 1,000 more...

Books I began but never finished

  • Graceling by Kristin Cashore
  • Through Her Eyes by Jennifer Archer
  • How to Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier

Do you have any book recommendations for me? :)

Comments

  1. This is so great!!! Let's see- I'm currently reading Unwind, and so far I love it. Ruta Sepetys is always phenomenal. And I also love Mary Higgins Clark novels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recommendations, Grace! I'll definitely look into them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose