Skip to main content

The 2 Key Elements of Super Productivity

Throughout the entire Fall semester, this burning question continuously popped into mind: How do people do it all?

In high school, I listened to upperclassmen semi-ranting and semi-bragging about how busy they were. The piles of homework, how late they stayed up, how long of a shift they worked over the weekend... Nowadays, I look at the freshman in college and witness them doing the same. Always working, always engaging--and in some cases feeding a child. I've observed my friends partake in extracurriculars, brag about binge-watching Netflix, and skip over the fact that they're also working part-time while they're in school full-time. I've always been one for productivity, and yet...

It baffles me.

I yearn to know how they do it. How they get so much done per day with less sleep and more obligations. My only true responsibility was school. When I told others -- mainly college graduates -- I was taking 14 credit hours, they would always reply with, "Oh my gosh, that's so much."

And yet I didn't think it was much at all -- compared to what others seem to get done, that is.

In reality, this semester has been a struggle. So much has been required of me, and yet I strive for more. Want to get more done.

It was a major conflict for me.

But in these recent days of starting the Spring semester with a fresh mindset, something in my brain has finally clicked. I know how people can pack so much stuff into what is seen to the outside observer as a small amount of time.

Focus and sacrifice.

These are the two key elements that these productivity junkies have.

1. They know what they want.

And they know the path required to get them to where they want to be. So they make this goal their life, and they pursue it in large chunks every day. If that means balancing school and work so that they can chug along and also support themselves, then they get it done.

That's where the sacrifice comes in.

2. They don't complain about the hustle.

Or maybe they do, but they go through with it anyway. With the power of their focus, they can move along and push through any fatigue. They can stay up all night with the baby and still get up two hours later to take the commute to work. They can work all day, all week just so they can relax on Saturday.

They can.

We can.

I know we're not superhuman, and that focus and sacrifice look easy to an outsider. Afterall, one can express their experiences as much as they want, but we'll never really know the toll it takes until we're there ourselves.

What am I saying? Instead of worrying about what everyone else is doing and how they're fitting it all in to the same 24-hour period we have, why don't we focus in on what we wanna get done and, well, do it.

Just do it, friend.

What do you think?

Is there more to the hustle of life than I've described? If so, let me know what it is. I love a fresh perspective. :)

Comments

  1. I have a habit of comparing other peoples productivity to my own, it's a horrible habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so guilty of looking around and thinking I’m not getting anything done. I’m not in school or working anymore, but I’ve got a ten month old boy, and a husband who need lots of attention. The baby is walking now so just taking care of him takes a lot of time, plus the house, and my husband has a job where he’s home for all three meals, so throw in cooking. He’s a farmer so a lot of times I’m out getting parts or moving cows and whatnot. I craft and sell things on the side, and I’m trying to get my novel finished. People tell me it’s a lot, but most days it doesn’t feel like it. Not compared to what my peers are doing. Great post. I think those elements are both crucial. I also think it’s important to realize that it doesn’t matter if you’re doing more or less than other people. Whatever you’re doing is important as long as you think it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m not as busy as I used to be with other activities, I do emphasize about knowing what we want and trying hard towards getting it, even if we sleep less...

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
  4. productivity has always been my biggest monster to tackle, and lately, i feel like i've been doing a lot better with actually getting stuff done.

    focusing has always been difficult for me :P the littlest things distract me, like an oddly shaped strawberry in my study snack :')

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this; I tend to keep going until I burn out, so I definitely need to work on my methods!! But you're so right, there's no point in focusing on how other people are doing it if you can't learn from them, it's better to get on with it and keep going!

    Lauren | Sincerely, Lauren Emily

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose