Skip to main content

It's Brainstorming Time

I've been sitting here for a couple of hours allowing myself to get distracted by YouTube while my inner conscience keeps saying "Rose, you should be writing blog posts". But I've looked through my list of ideas and many  partially started drafts, but nothing seems to be speaking to me. So I decided, why not have a brainstorming session and post about that?

Genius, no?

Here are a few brainstorming techniques I use when I'm stuck in a rut.


1. Listing


Whip out a piece of paper and write a word (preferably one that's related to your blog's niche). What does that word make you think of? Write that down. What does the next word make you think of? Write that down. And so on and so forth. No matter what, don't stop. Keep going until you find a word/topic you'd like to write about. :)

Here's my list:

+ writing
+ journaling
+ daily
+ experiences
+ emotions
+ memories
+ happy
+ smiling
+ laughing
+ joyful
+ playful

2. Visualizing


I'm a very visual person who happens to own several social media accounts that have photos with the potential to inspire me. I use them. And you should too. Scroll through your Pinterest, Tumblr, We Heart It, or even Instagram feed to gather ideas. I find this especially helpful when I want to write something very visual for a book scene I'm working on, but don't feel like I have the right details in mind. :)

Take a look at my photographic inspiration board on Pinterest if you're in search of inspiration.

Follow Nicole Rose's board p h o t o g r a p h i c i n s p i r a t i o n . on Pinterest.

3. Questioning


Look at the world around you and ask questions. Change your perspective. Hang upside down. Close your eyes and breathe. Leave the house, take a walk. Use a new approach.

"Why is the sky blue?"
"Where do the birds go when it's cold?"
"Is our earth really round?"
"How is glitter made?"

Et cetera, et cetera.

Write down your questions and discoveries to get yourself thinking as you search for answers.

4. Mapping


Create a word map. Start with a central idea (for example we'll use blogging) then have several related topics branching off from it. From each of those topics, add a few sub specific sub topics. Here's a graphic presentation:



And there you have it. Four unique brainstorming techniques. Comment below which one is your favorite.

If you need more help finding your muse, check out my post, 7 Ways To Seek & Find Your Inspiration. :)

What has your brain stormed today?


Thanks for reading!

xx Nicole Rose

Comments

  1. I actually thoroughly enjoyed this post.
    Thank you, Rose. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Pinterest is a great way to get inspiration, I use it everyday :P

    ~Noor
    a little bit of sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this, especially your list idea! I use Pinterest all the time for story inspiration. I'll be sure to check out your board. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ideas you gave for brainstorming! I do the third method a lot. People think it's annoying, but it's one of the ways I process the world. XD

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously though "Mapping" said "Mopping." And I was like WHAT? But you know, cleaning actually has inspired me quite a few times. ;) This is a wonderful post full of wonderful ideas. Thanks. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! The word mapping is kinda like the 'mind maps' I make. They look really cool. I'll have to try these things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so great!! Thank you for the ideas!!!
    Mae
    superswankified.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome! Thanks for the tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to have to try out these tips sometime (very soon). So, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments I receive are cherished for many hours after reading them. Thank you for taking the time to type something to me.

xx Nicole Rose

Popular posts from this blog

Room Tour 2019

I've always wanted to do one of these posts. If not for the enjoyment of others, for the enjoyment of my future self to look back on and realize how much my style and space have changed. My door. I think I'm sooo artsy for taping paint swatches to my door. And I actually love how it looks too. I was going for "Starry Night" with my own little twist -- and without the actual paint. ;) This is what my room looks like from the doorway. Can you guess what the theme is? It's funny -- a few weeks ago I was discussing with Kenzie how my room has this coral and aquamarine vibe to it, yet my Instagram theme is focused on yellows and blues, and my actual fashion style is very grungy/hispter/artsy. So it all comes full circle, I guess? Still, I love my room. It's my safe haven. Now come on in so I can give you the full tour... Right as you walk in, you will see my DIY jewelry hanging on the wall to your right. It's quite a balancing act when I

How and Why: Linkup Parties

Starting out as a blogger can be really hard. You want to grow your blog, but even though it seems like you've tried everything, nothing works. Your blog hasn't expanded in the least. You don't see any improvement. That's why in this post I'm going to share with you the miracle of link up parties! I'm going to go over how they work, why you should create your own, which hosts you should use and much, much more. Let's get started, shall we? :) Share this post to help other bloggers learn about linkup parties. How they work The typical link party can be broken down into 3  basic*  parts. * Every link up is different, so as you're reading through this and considering to create your own, consider adding a unique twist to your link up party. After all, people tend to get tired of seeing the same old same old. The sponsors These are the people who came up with the original idea of that particular link party. It can be anyone from you on your

Expression // 005

Friends Make up new words together. Hug attack each other so hard that it hurts. Throw glitter at your face. Tell you stories off the top of their head. Comfort you when no one else can. Beat up whoever makes you cry. Make you laugh till your insides hurt. Obsess over celebrities and books with you. Help you get through the rough days. They complete each other. xx Nicole Rose